Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The big D

I feel like so many people I know are getting divorced right now, just out of the blue. As if they just woke up one morning and decided they didn't want to be married anymore. I don't get it. Well, I'm married so maybe I sort of get it. I love my husband but there have been more than a few times during an argument that I thought how easy it would be to just pack my stuff and head home. BUT, that's MARRIAGE. I think feeling like that is fairly normal...to an extent. It is sad that people get married and don't take their vows to heart. Marriage is hard, it is tough, tough work every single day. I have a lot of respect for people who decide NOT to get married, who decide they don't want that work and don't want to ruin someone else's life when they decide to leave after 10 years of marriage because their suspicions were confirmed. Good for you for not hurting your spouse with a divorce and emotionally maiming a child by leaving. For those of us who have chosen to marry and share our lives with someone, you have to know that marriage is not going to be happy fun time with candy canes and peaches everyday; and when things get rocky, stick it out, find help. Unless your spouse is cheating on you repeatedly or abusing you, I can't imagine what is so unfixable. If you just decide you don't really like this person that much and you want to be with someone else...guess what, you took vows saying you would be there when things are good and when things are crappy. I can pretty much guarantee that if you get divorced for weak reasons, you are going to divorce your next spouse when things get tough there too.

1 comments:

Ellen said...

Thanks Tara- as someone going into marriage soon, I don't understand why someone would go through the motions (and money) of a wedding then NOT keep their vows. It does seem like divorce is so common (even among Christians!) No one said it'd be easy... otherwise the minister would say for "better or even better" not "for better or worse" :)